BLACK BEAR CUB A6 GREETING CARD
This Black Bear Cub A6 Greeting Card is a major favourite among the people who follow my work. He is a cutie and as we all know people love cute! The background for this one was intense. The tree had so much more detail then I was used to adding. However the risk was worth it, and I totally love this little guy and he works perfectly in this black bear cub greeting card.
I absolutely love drawing bears. They fascinate me and also scare me (well the Grizzlies). I was only able to see black bears in my last month of living in New Brunswick. We were driving the airport, and there was a mother walking down a hill on the side of the highway with her three adolescent cubs. I wish we could have stopped but unfortunately not. This just means I will need to make a special photography trip just to see them again.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT BLACK BEARS
- The black bear Ursus americanus is the smallest, yet most common.
- The current population estimate is 750,000 individuals.
- Black bears are excellent climbers and are often photographed scaling trees. Their claws give them great grip, and the branches offer youngsters safety from predators. Cubs can be very adventurous, climbing high into the treetops.
- They are also good swimmers, and will readily enter water in search of fish.
- Black bears tend to shuffle along slowly when walking, but are able to run at speeds of around 40-50kph.
- Black bears are not always black – they can also be light brown, blond or even grey-blue. A subspecies of black bear with white fur, known as the Kermode or spirit bear, lives in British Columbia.
- Female black bears can give birth to up to six cubs, and usually breed every other year. Cubs stay with their mother for about 18 months.
- American black bears are omnivorous: plants, fruits, nuts, insects, honey, salmon, small mammals and carrion. In northern regions, they eat spawning salmon.
Black bears will also occasionally kill young deer or moose calves.
You may also be interested in this design as a Fine Art Print
Follow my artwork on your favourite social media!
There are no reviews yet.