Chickadee Fine Art Print
This Chickadee fine art print is very popular with my Canadian friends. Chickadees are lovely little birds and it was a species I had to draw right away. They are friendly and very curious and I just adore watching them look at the trees for any available food. What is interesting about this drawing was I didn’t just draw a random branch I wanted to add some interest which I did by adding the dry pine cones. I find these cones add a lot of interest to the Chickadee artwork. Unfortunately the original was destroyed, so these prints and greeting cards are all we have.
Here are some interesting facts about Chickadees!
- The chickadee makes at least 15 different calls to communicate with its flock-mates and offspring.
- The Black-capped Chickadee is a small, short-billed songbird with a black cap and throat.
- Black-capped Chickadees eat large quantities of insects, the chickadee is one of the most important pest exterminators of the orchard or forest.
- The Black-Capped Chickadee hides seeds and other food items for later recovery during colder weather. Each item is placed in a different spot and a bird can remember the hiding places a month after caching the food.
- Chickadees live in small groups and establish a dominance hierarchy.
- The females lays 6-8 white eggs – marked with fine spots of reddish brown.
- When breeding season begins, the tiny brains of chickadees and other songbirds enlarge to enable the birds to create more sounds.
- There are seven chickadee species that breed in North America
- Chickadees let neurons containing old, useless information die and allow new ones to form so they can adapt to changes.
- The oldest recorded black-capped chickadee was 12 years and 5 months old
You may also be interested in the Chickadee Greeting Card which is available here.
Follow my work on your favourite social media!