Elephant Mother and Calf Greeting Card
Drawn for mothers day, this beautiful elephant duo makes an excellent card. It makes a beautiful card for anyone who is special to you. I have drawn this with graphite pencils on recycled paper.
Elephants were a highlight of my trip to Africa, and they always seem to be especially delightful for the tourists that visit. They are very gentle creatures in the right environment. They show such a wide variety of emotions and the way they pass knowledge is amazing.
Here are some interesting facts!
- Elephants can live to be over 70 years old.
- They have a slow pulse rate of 27. For a canary it is 1000!
- An elephant’s skin is an inch thick.
- They have poor eyesight but an amazing sense of smell.
- They have the longest pregnancy of all the animals. It takes a female 22 months from conception to give birth.
- Elephants prefer one tusk over the other, just as people are either left or right-handed.
- Their trunk has more than 40,000 muscles in it.
- They use their feet to listen, they can pick up sub-sonic rumblings made by other elephants, through vibrations in the ground. Elephants are observed listening by putting trunks on the ground and carefully positioning their feet.
- They have a highly developed brain and are the largest of all the land mammals. The brain is 3 or 4 times larger than that of humans although smaller as a proportion of body weight.
- The largest elephant on record was an adult male African elephant. It weighed about 24,000 pounds and was 13 feet tall at the shoulder!
You may also be interested in the print of this artwork, which is available here.
If you would like to follow me on social media, here are my instagram and facebook