Hummingbird Fine Art Print
My hummingbird fine art print is very bright and colourful. If you are looking for an artwork to add a bit of colour in a realistic way this is your fella. One of my favourite birds to watch and still one of my all time favourite drawings. I first saw hummingbirds when we moved to Canada in 2005. Their arrival from Mexico is a very exciting time, and we feed them all summer long. Watching the males fly in U shapes in the air showing off their agility and speed it is a magnificent sight. They are incredibly curious little birds but also very cautious as they are so small.
This fine art print of the beautiful acrobat of an adorable little bird is a perfect addition to any room.
Some Interesting Facts about Ruby-throatedHummingbirds:
- The Ruby-throated Hummingbird, one of the smallest hummingbird species
- They can only grow to a length of 3 to 3.5 inches and weight of about 3 grams.
- It is also the most widespread among all hummingbird species.
- A Ruby-throated Hummingbird has only about 940 feathers, which are all replaced every year. Ruby-throated hummingbirds have the least feathers of all bird species.
- It can fly at a speed of 25 miles per hour, and 40 miles per hour during courtship dives.
- Ruby-throated Hummingbird have a wingbeat frequency of 53 times per second. However, during courtship, it goes up to about 200 times per second.
- Despite its small size, the Ruby-throated Hummingbird can fly over 3000 kilometers from the eastern United States, crossing over 1000 kilometers of the Gulf of Mexico to winter in Central America in just one flight.
- Ruby-throated Hummingbirds like to eat on red or orange flowers because of their high sugar content.
- Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that live an average of 3 years or so. The oldest known Ruby-throated Hummingbird has a lifespan of 9 years and 1 month.
- The Ruby-throated Hummingbird female lays eggs about the size of peas.
You may also be interested in another Canadian bird.
Follow my artwork on your favourite social media!