Rabbit Square Greeting Card
Rabbits are one of my favourite creatures. In this artwork, I really wanted to portray their cute curiosity and give the viewer that feeling of sitting in a meadow watching nature.
Here are some interesting facts!
- Rabbits have lots of young and so quickly. So during the breeding season of January to August, she can have up to 8 litters of between 3 and 7 kits (baby rabbits) meaning in one year a single rabbit can have as many as 56 young.
- They only live for a couple of years in the wild, but when kept as a pet can live between 7 and 10 years.
- When a rabbit runs away from danger it will do so in a zig-zag pattern. This is to confuse predators.
- Rabbits purr and honk when they are happy. The purring sound is made by rubbing their teeth together.
- Their teeth never stop growing, that’s why they need things to chew and gnaw on to keep their teeth short.
- They are ‘crepuscular’ which means they are most active at dawn and dusk.
- Rabbit communities live underground in extensive burrows called warrens.
- A baby bunny is called a kit, a female is called a doe and a male is called a buck.
- They perform an athletic leap, known as a binky when they’re happy — performing twists and kicks in mid-air!
- They are amazing athletes — they can jump as high as 90 centimetres in one leap!
- Their long ears grow up to 10 centimetres in length, rabbits can turn their ears by 180 degrees, keeping a careful listen out for predators.
- The Flemish Giant rabbit breed is the world’s largest, reaching 2.5 feet in length and weighing up to 22 pounds.
You may also be interested in this artwork as a print, Which is available here.
If you would like to follow me on social media, here are my Instagram and Facebook