RED FOX Fine art print
I have always loved red foxes. Their coats are simply stunning. As I was in search of a reference photo, this guy just pulled me right in. What is he watching, has he just hunted and that is why he is resting. So many possible narratives! I also wanted this guy to have an impact so the original is 11×17 inches. This larger size allowed me to get all those lovely fur details in. I have a second red fox waiting to be drawn to accompany this little guy. Hopefully soon I will get round to it.
Here are some interesting Facts about Red Foxes!
- A group of foxes is called a skulk or leash
- Foxes have whiskers on their legs and face, which help them to navigate
- A male is called a ‘dog fox’ while a female is called a ‘vixen’
- Foxes dig underground dens where they take care of their kits and hide from predators
- Grey foxes can retract their claws like cats do (not about red foxes, however i found too interesting to not include in)
- Their pupils are vertical, similar to a cat,which help them to see well at night
- The tip of a red fox’s tail is white, whereas swift foxes have a black-tipped tail
- Foxes have excellent hearing. Red foxes can reportedly hear a watch ticking 40 yards away!
- Red foxes are typically red in color but can also be brown, black, or silver.
- They have a life expectancy of seven years in the wild and fifteen years in captivity.
- This species scientific name is Vulpes vulpes.
- they have been known to jump as high as 6.5 feet (1.98 meters).
- This animal has a wide range of food sources for its diet. It is both a predator and a scavenger included in its diet are squirrels, rabbits, insects, eggs, chickens, grass, small reptiles, and garbage.
You may also be interested in this fine art print which is available here.
You can follow me on your favourite social media!