SPORT HORSE FINE ART PRINT
This coloured pencil is a recently completed work. I spent most of my youth riding and training horses for over 20 years. They are my favourite animals on earth.
HERE ARE SOME INTERESTING FACTS!
- They can sleep both lying down and standing up.
- A horse’s digestive system is a one-way street, unlike cattle and other ruminants who regurgitate food to re-chew it.
- You can estimate their age by their teeth.
- They have the largest eyes of any land mammal.
- At one-time people thought horses were colourblind. They’re not, though they are better at seeing yellows and greens than purples and violets.
- male horses have 40 while females have 36.
- A 19th-century horse named ‘Old Billy’ reportedly lived 62 years.
- From 1867 to 1920, the number of horses shot up from 7.8 million to 25 million.
- Because their eyes are on the side of their head they are capable of seeing nearly 360 degrees at one time.
- The fastest recorded sprinting speed was 88 kph (55 mph). Most gallop at around 44 kph or 27 mph.
- An adult horse’s brain weighs 22 oz, about half that of a human.
- There are only one species of the domestic horse, but around 400 different breeds that specialize in everything from pulling wagons to racing.
- They can see better at night than a human. However, it takes their eyes longer to adjust from light to dark and from dark to light than a human’s.
- Wild herds generally gather in groups of 3 to 20 animals.
- The record for the highest jump is held by a horse named Huaso who jumped 8 feet, 1 and 1/4 inches on February 5th, 1949 in Vina del Mar, Chile.
If you love this colourful piece you might also love this.
Follow my artwork on your favourite social media!